Some diseases you’re born with, and some diseases can arise as you age. Regardless of when their symptoms appear, experts work hard at finding appropriate treatments, or ideally a cure. For the aging disease of Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s Disease and Parkinson’s, so far the medical world has had no such luck.
But, now they’re finding cannabis’ may be a viable treatment or at the very least, has a positive effect on the condition’s symptoms. Since cannabis research is in its infancy, experts are quickly trying to catch up on research to have a definitive answer. For now, the speculation is enough for many of the diseases’ sufferers to try medical marijuana for relief.
To find out more, we compiled all the latest information on cannabis’ effect for ageing diseases – specifically, Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s Disease and Parkinson’s. Plus, what users are saying are the best strains to turn to for the conditions.
Cannabis & Alzheimer’s Disease
Alzheimer’s and Dementia are common ageing diseases that affect the memory, and behaviours of a growing number of the senior population. In Canada alone, nearly 750,000 adults suffer from the condition.
In 2014, the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease published a report showing THC had therapeutic qualities towards the symptoms of the condition. The memory affecting condition can arise when beta-amyloid build up in the brain over time.
The study concluded that THC stimulated the progression of beta-amyloid proteins, successfully. Which improved the condition and its symptoms for participants, overall. Another study further confirmed this interaction of cannabinoids and beta-amyloid proteins at the Salk Institute in 2016, as well.
The medical community is also citing that inflammation in the brain can be a source of Alzheimer’s condition. As you may know, CBD and THC are anti-inflammatory in nature, with CBD being additionally helpful for neuroinflammation specifically. These observations both have led experts to further evaluate the effectiveness for Alzheimer’s which lead to the conclusion that both CBD and THC were successful suppressing factors of the condition.
Recommended Strains for Alzheimer’s Disease
- OG Kush – OG Kush is an indica dominant hybrid that is legendary for its well-balanced effects. The stimulating cerebral benefits are often recommended for Alzheimer’s patients, and the strain is ideal for use at day or night.
- Sour Diesel – Sour Diesel is a sativa dominant hybrid that is mentally energizing, and can relieve stress and anxiety with its uplifting effects. The strain also helps balance moods, which is necessary for Alzheimer’s patients.
Cannabis & Huntington’s Disease
Lesser known than Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s Disease is a condition that often arises when an adult is in their 30’s or 40’s. It’s a progressive type of condition which means that symptoms worsen over time and as you age. The genetic disease internally attacks the body’s nerves, making them weaken and diminishing their functioning. The symptoms of Huntington’s Disease affect a person’s cognitive, movement, and psychiatric functions.
Which leads to medical marijuana’s neuroprotective qualities for the nerves. Experts are exploring this cannabis effect as an aid or possible treatment of the condition that affects 1 in 7000 Canadians. Yet, 1 in 5500 are susceptible to the gene that carries it.
A Madrid study recently showed that cannabis’ interaction with the CB1 receptors successfully reduced symptoms of the disease. The same study also concluded that THC specifically helped motor control that often diminishes with patients who have the condition.
Recommended Strains for Huntington’s Disease
- Blue Dream – Blue Dream (available in Daily Pen CO2 Oil Carts for vaping) is a Sativa dominant hybrid that is preferred by many medical users. Its potent levels of THC and CBD is ideal for elevating moods with full-body relaxation.
- UK Cheese – UK Cheese is a potent hybrid that is also well-liked by medical consumers. The strain’s lineage is said to help reduce muscle spasticity and tension, while relieving stresses of the mind.
Cannabis & Parkinson’s Disease
Another nerve condition, the medical community cites that one of the sources of Parkinson’s Disease peculiar symptoms could be due to neural communication. In addition, to levels of Dopamine. Parkinson’s is mainly classified by the tremors it causes its sufferers to endure. But, it also affects a person’s psychosis, and sleep.
Beyond the way that cannabis can help one’s mental balance, and provide relaxation for sleep…science is finally CBD and THC can positively influence nerve communication. In addition to interacting with dopamine positively, too.
The Parkinson’s Foundation has gone as far as to publish a number of studies that show cannabis can be effective for improving neuron activity. With improved nerve communication, CBD and THC help to alleviate the life-altering side-effects of the condition. One study showed that nabilone, a synthetic form of cannabis, significantly reduced levodopa-induced dyskinesia found in Parkinson’s Disease.
Outside of actual research, real-time users often report that the muscle relaxant and body buzz qualities of cannabis can help the conditions involuntary and unavoidable tremors.
Recommended Strains for Parkinson’s Disease
- Cali Bubba Kush – A strong Indica dominant strain, Cali Bubba Kush has high levels of THC to act as a powerful muscle relaxant for Parkinson’s Disease symptoms. The sedating strain also provides a euphoria for mood elevation, too.
- Trainwreck – Trainwreck is a uniquely Sativa dominant hybrid, that provides equally stimulating effects for the mind, as relaxing effects for the body. The strain’s THC levels help soothe tremors and provide balance for Parkinson’s.
Ageing with Cannabis
So, not only can cannabis help the symptoms and side-effects of ageing diseases but science is proving it may be able to treat or prevent the conditions altogether. Researchers will have to continue investigating the unique workings of cannabinoids with the body’s endocannabinoid system for beneficial health effects, to deliver a cure or definitive answer.
If you’re interested in self-medicating or exploring how medical marijuana may help you as you age, or with these conditions specifically – MMJDirect has the collection for you. Our top-quality cannabis flower, concentrates, edibles, and more, are ideal for the ageing community and even easier to access, with secure online purchasing and discrete delivery.