It seems the more we learn about weed, the more connections it makes to daily or weekly activities in our life. Marijuana is now used medically, recreationally, can stimulate workouts, can help you unwind at night and even…stimulate your sexual intimacy.
That’s right – your two favourite things when combined can get even better. While the positive claims concerning cannabis for intimacy were first considered baseless, recent studies are finally addressing common misconceptions (including an increased risk of erectile dysfunction) surrounding cannabis use. Here we have compiled an in-depth guide that explores the connection between marijuana and intimacy.
The Connection between Marijuana and Intimacy
The stigma around marijuana’s supposed “harmful” effects on the body has reduced significantly over the past years. As the number of marijuana users is increasing around the world, more and more people are becoming aware of the benefits this plant carries. One of the most notable and trending benefits recently, has been the connection of marijuana and sexual relations.
Which surprisingly – advancements in research are proving to be true. A modern study published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine showed that women who frequently used marijuana before sex had a 2.10 times higher chance of having a satisfactory orgasm as opposed to those who did not. 68.5% of individuals in this study alone, reported increased pleasure and level of intimacy during sex because of marijuana use.
But what is the science behind this proven cannabis induced feel-good effect on sex? To answer this question, we must look at the composition of the cannabis plant. The plant contains unique compounds like cannabinoids, flavonoids, and terpenes, each with a benefit of its own.
The cannabinoids are responsible for increased sexual function since areas of the brain concerned with sex have many receptors for this compound. However, scientists say that the real magic lies in terpenes- aromatic compounds responsible for the flavour and taste of the strain. Terpenes can also determine the varying effect specific to each cannabis strain.
Beyond actual research – there is significant evidence of real-time use that suggests how beneficial cannabis can be for sex. Of all those who have ‘self-explored’ with cannabis and intimacy, here are some top benefits that come along with the connection.
- Increased Sexual Desire or Libido – There is no doubt that while you are high every sensation and feeling can become enhanced. That’s because cannabinoids like THC and CBD interact with receptors, responsible for your sense of feelings. You must know the hunger or “munchies” that a person gets when they are high. Similarly, this amplification effect applies to sexual feelings and urges as well. Your sensitivity to touch can become more sensitive, conversely enhancing your sexual desire.
- Better performance – There are conflicting reports about the effects of marijuana on overall performance with some saying it can detract from a partner’s quality. However, a recent study, specific to males, suggests that marijuana might actually help. 75% of individuals in this study reported having increased sexual stamina after marijuana use, showing how beneficial getting high can be, before getting down.
- Helps you get into the “mood” – As mentioned before, the cannabinoid receptors found in the central nervous system can elevate your mood. The receptor is directly responsible for reducing pain and producing a euphoric feeling. This is another way that marijuana can naturally get you in the mood, internally.
- Reduces the anxious feeling that comes with sex – Feelings of anxiety can keep you from feeling intimate with a partner, or dilute the mood altogether. But luckily, cannabis naturally relieves the mind from stress and calms your nerves. This composed state of mind is crucial when it comes to intimacy. A study published in the Culture, Health, and Sexuality Journal state that cannabis can increase intimacy during sex by specifically reducing feelings of anxiety. Most participants in this study reported that cannabis use before sex helped them elevate their mood and feel less inhibited during sex.
- More intense orgasms – Although this aspect of sex is subjective to individual experience, there are reports of people having long-lasting orgasms while being high as opposed to those people who were not. A possible explanation by study experts, might be how time seems to move a lot more slowly when a person is high, hence the orgasm is longer as well.
Top 5 Best Strains for Sex
The chemical composition of cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids varies from strain to strain. This means that some strains might prove more successful in enhancing your sexual experience as compared to others. If you’re looking to integrate weed into the bedroom, here are a few of the best cannabis strains for sex, to turn to first.
Blue Dream is sure to deliver a dreamy experience in the bedroom, with its confidence-boosting traits. The potent hybrid is uniquely relaxing while uplifting your spirits for loosening your inhibitions, comfortably, under the covers.
A favourite of Snoop Dogg, Master Kush is a high-quality indica dominant strain that is known for its sedative properties. It can help you relax after a long day and is perfect for those solo, pleasurable experiences in bed.
Strawberry is a well-balanced hybrid that delivers the best of both worlds, for sativa and indica effects. Meaning your body will be comfortably relaxed for pleasure, with an exhilarating and energetic type of euphoria.
Death Bubba is a hybrid that boasts ideal levels of THC and CBD, for a pleasurable sexual experience. The strain is well-known for reducing anxious feelings, which can make many feel more playful in bed or less self-conscious overall.
Weed under the sheets
With CBD and THC markets thriving, people are becoming more aware of the benefits that cannabis brings to the table. Sex is an integral part of every person’s life and is responsible for emotional and physical well-being. With marijuana capable of enhancing this aspect of your life, its benefits only continue to grow. If you are looking for cannabis products that suit your desire for intimacy, visit our store, and choose from our extension premium collection